Cape Town SEVA Project
2013 PRACTICE IN THE PARK
Please see this short clip about the 2013 Practice in the Park.
We had another wonderful day in Greenpoint Park on Sunday with a mass Yoga Practice for NGO Earthchild Project. Tamsin Sheehy from The Shala and Hylton Jaggard from Hot Dog led a beautiful session and we were joined by some of the Earthchildren and teachers. Thankyou everyone that came and supported us in this very special event.
The Cape Town Seva Project (CTSP) will be organising, supporting and documenting the following activities:
1) HannUman Tuesdays - we'd like to encourage all teachers and studios to choose one class on a Tuesday to be a donation based practice with all the proceeds going to a charity of the their choice. HannUman, the Monkey God will be symbolic of the leap from the studio to the community and will be practiced at some point during the class. This will be a wonderful way to create a sense of community with everyone practicing for a greater cause on this same day. The class can also be used as an opportunity to introduce and discuss 'Seva'. The CTSP will supply information that the teacher can use to guide this discussion as well as support in finding a partnering charity if needed.
Hanuman (the Monkey-faced God) crossed seas by leaping over straits to rescue Sita, wife of Rama. This strong and noble warrior then leapt to find a miracle herb from the Himalayas to save the life of Laksmana. With our Hanuman Tuesday practice we want to emulate Hanuman and 'leap' from our mats taking our practice into the community.
2) One Month Challenge - based on the successful model piloted by Yogaway Studio and the NGO Home From Home, participants commit to practicing every day for a month. In addition each participant raises a sum of money on sponsorship which goes towards a charity of the studio's choice. The model and structure, as well as all admin and marketing documents that were developed by Home from Home in conjunction with Yogaway can be referred to and consulted by you and CTSP together in setting up your own Challenge. For those interested please contact Melissa@yogaway.co.za
3) Volunteering - CTSP will be working closely together with SevaUnite and the Earthchild Project to place those students and teachers who would like to start volunteer teaching. Seva Unite train volunteers and place them in various projects teaching High School students, prisoners, children and more. Earthchild Project work in schools in Khayelitsha and Lavender Hill and also train, place and support volunteers to teach from Grade 1 - 9 children. www.sevaunite.org /
4) In partnership with SevaUnite, the CTSP will be offering a one day Seva Workshop to all Yoga TTC's in Cape Town. The day will consist of a theoretical introduction to Seva, including knowledge, discussion and interactive processes, and will then be followed by a site visit and experience at a local community project.
5) Fundraising group practice events - Every February CTSP will organize a fundraising event for local charities and NGOs. We launched this with the Practice in the Park on 12th Feb 2012. We had between 300-350 people at the event which was held at the beautiful Green Point Park. Our first huge Practice was the most wonderful event and a first for Cape Town! The weather was glorious and we were lucky enough to have 4 of Cape Towns’ top teachers leading the Practice. See pictures attached to blog for Practice in the Park...